KTP’s address becomes a registered address for a bank account or STNK
As people living in Jakarta are busy, it is quite difficult to mutasi (change of address) everything that is attached to the KTP, such as bank account, vehicle certificate STNK (Surat Tanda Nomor Kendaraan) and NPWP (Taxpayer Identification Number) when changing the KTP.
There are many cases where you check the expiration date of your KTP and leave it at your old address, thinking that you should renew it at the next time you move, but naturally, letters from banks and tax offices will be delivered to your old address.
Japan’s postcode is assigned to each post office, but Indonesia’s CODE POS is assigned to each Kelurahan, and there are 65 Kelurahan in South Jakarta alone.
For example, the Kelurahan apartment in Kuningan where I lived until August was at Menteng Atas in South Jakarta and the KODE POS was 12960, but now it’s changed to 10230 at Kebon Melati in Central Jakarta .
Local administrative divisions in Indonesia are composed of the following units
- KK (Ketua Keluarga family unit)
- RT (RUKUN TETANGGA Tonari Gumi)
- RW (RUKUN WARGA Neighborhood Association)
- Kelurahan (town or ward)
- Kecamatan (county)
- Kabupaten (province)
- Propinsi (State)
The reason why Kelurahan is in charge of issuing KTP is because the postcode that defines the address is Kelurahan unit. When the Razia KTP (KTP check) by Dinas Kependudukan dan Catatan Sipil (Department of Registration of Residents and Civil Servants) is received, people with old KTP address will be removed.
It was a long time ago, when I had just moved to Denpasar, Bali, I was suddenly raided by Banjar (Bali’s town council) at 11:00 p.m., and my wife and I, a foreigner, were taken away by the office because KTP was still Jakarta’s address.
Three major operations for the residents of the jurisdictional district of Kantor Kelurahan
KTP issuance is carried out by Kantor Kelurahan, and the Kelurahan has three main functions for the local population
- Issuance of KTP (Kartu Tanda Pendududuk Certificate of Residence), KK (Kartu Keluarga Certificate of Residence)
- Issuance of Surat Keterangan Pelaporan Kelahiran (birth certificate)
- Issuance of Surat Keterangan Pelaporan Kematian (death certificate)
It is the job of Kantor Kelurahan to manage the entry and exit of residents in each Kelurahan, which is the basic unit of address, and the residents of the area under its jurisdiction are managed by KTP, a resident registration card numbered by the Nomor Induk Kependudukan (NIC).
KTP change procedure
If your Kelurahan changes due to a move, you will need to change your KTP as well, and there are three steps to follow
- Ask them to issue a Surat Pengantar (letter to get Surat Pindah) signed by RT/RW.
In the case of an apartment, the apartment itself often doubles as an RT/RW, so the customer service will issue a copy.
- Go to Kantor Kelurahan with Surat Pengantar and get a Surat Pindah (relocation notice).
- Take your Surat Pindah and get a KTP issued at the Kantor Kelurahan where you are moving.
There was a banner (Spanduk) at Kantor Kelurahan Menteng Atas before I moved, which clearly stated the documents required for KTP and KK procedures, among which the following 4 important ones
- Surat Pengantar (letter) from RT/RW
- KK (Certificate of Residence) and former KTP (Certificate of Residence)
- Copy of Akta Kelahiran (birth certificate)
- Copy of Akta Perkawinan (marriage certificate for Muslims is Surat Nikah)</li
The rest will be filled in on a dedicated form at Kantor Kelurahan.